How does a director follow up a well-received, thought-provoking and slightly controversial sci-fi pic? You tackle the adaptation of one of the landmark sci-fi stories of this generation.
According to Market Watch, Vincenzo Natali, director of “Cube” and most recently, “Splice” has been tapped to direct a feature film adaptation of William Gibson’s seminal novel, “Neuromancer”. Now, this isn’t the first time someone’s tried to bring this classic to the silver screen, but so far this one seems to have the most steam behind it. This particular iteration has been gestating since 2007, with Joseph Kahn (“Torque”) originally slated to be in the big chair and, gods help us, Hayden Christensen starring. However, as early as May 7, 2012, The Hollywood Reporter announced that Natali was taking over director’s duties. There was no other news on this until today’s press release from Seven Arts Pictures. Working in conjunction with Prodigy Pictures, and with support from Telefilm Canada, Seven Arts is hoping that “Neuromancer “ will be the first of a multi-film franchise.
Says Seven Arts CEO Peter Hoffman said, ” In Vincenzo’s hands we think Neuromancer will realize William Gibson’s extraordinary vision of the future while being a big draw at the box office.”
Personally, I’m just hoping that one, it gets made and two, that it doesn’t suck.